Lake Durango Water Authority
Water Use Restrictions
Thank you for your ongoing cooperation to conserve water as we are recovering from the three years of drought which resulted in reduced or no water from Authority water rights on the La Plata River. Diversions resulting from 2015 spring and summer rains have increased the Lake Durango Reservoir storage volume to 858 acre-feet. The Authority encourages continued conservation measures as future weather patterns are unpredictable and a return to drought conditions is possible. Currently no water use restrictions are in effect. The Authority will be updating the restriction requirements on its web page www.lakedurango.org. It is likely that stage 1 restrictions will go into effect by the end of September 2015. Monthly bill cards will note whether restrictions are in effect. It is your responsibility to determine if restrictions are in place if you plan to irrigate, wash vehicles, or plan to fill ponds or pools. If you have any questions regarding water use please feel free to contact our office 970-247-4062.
Engineering for the project to deliver Animas-La Plata Project water to Lake Durango is almost complete and environmental permitting with the Bureau of Reclamation is underway. Project construction will begin late this fall or early next spring if there are no further permitting delays. The Authority is also working on temporary measures to supply additional water to Lake Durango.
Water Use Restrictions.
Lake Durango Reservoir Level (acre feet)
Stages of Restriction
800 or more
(1) Stage 1: Outside watering is limited to two hours per day, two days per week (Tuesday and Friday, 7am to 9am or 7pm to 9pm). Hoses may be used but may not be left unattended without sprinkler head or control device (open running hoses may not be left unattended). Car/boat/recreational vehicle washing is not permitted. Except for livestock, no filling of tanks or ponds is permitted. Swimming pools, koi ponds, waterfalls, or any type of landscaping ponds may not be filled. Excess water will not be allowed to run down driveways, ditches, or roads. Watering potted plants with pails, buckets, or watering cans is allowed at any time.
(2) Stage 2: Outside watering is limited to two hours, one day per week (Tuesday or Friday, 7am to 9am or 7pm to 9pm). All other restrictions of Stage 1 apply.
(3) Stage 3: No outside watering is permitted. All other restrictions of Stage 1 apply.
(4) Stage 4: No outside use of water in any fashion is permitted. Limits on the inside household use of water will be implemented. Strict adherence to the limits will be required.
(5) Conservation Incentive Rates. The following “Conservation Incentive Rates” will be assessed any Retail Customer who fails to abide by the restrictions in place, as evidenced by a reasonable written verification obtained by the Authority describing the time and nature of the offense:
Lake Durango Water Authority
The Lake Durango Water Authority (LDWA) is the end product of the cooperation between the customers of the Lake Durango Water Company (LDWC) and the La Plata County Commissioners. In June of 2007 these groups met with the owner of LDWC and agreed to transfer the assets and operation of the water system to a governmental entity with the desire better serve the residents of the service area. The authority was formed in January of 2008 and has to date secured the funding and needed research to complete the transfer sometime in 2009.
"Our goal is to provide reliable quality water to the 1435 current tap holders and to develop additional water resources to expand the service area."
Water Rate Relief Assistance
Lake Durango Water Authority (LDWA) offers limited financial assistance to low income homeowners. This assistance is intended to partially mitigate the impact of the 2009 acquisition costs. Eligibility is restricted to qualified low income owner-occupied homeowners within the LDWA service area. Application and eligibility details are available by clicking here, at the LDWA office (667 S.Lakeside Dr., Durango)
Click here to view full details and download the application.